Monday, August 5, 2013

Review ~ Beauty to Die For by Kim Alexis and Mindy Starns Clark

Hi Friends! Today I have a fun mystery for you called Beauty to Die For by Kim Alexis and Mindy Starns Clark.* I've never read anything by Kim Alexis (a former 80's supermodel herself), but I LOVE Ms. Clark's books. (Her Million Dollar Mysteries are currently on sale in ebook format for those interested) This particular book is a contemporary chick-lit mystery.


Summary: Juliette Taylor, former 80's supermodel and now beauty supply mogul is on her way to a spa retreat at the Palm Grotto Spa with her best friend and business partner, Didi when she runs into a former colleague and supermodel Raven. Famous for her red hair, Raven is infamous for her fantastic tips and vicious personality. When Raven and Juliette end up at the same spa, Juliette fears that Raven is trying to steal her business, but soon discovers that isn't the case when Raven ends up dead. Faced with counterfeiters selling a potentially dangerous version of her product, as well as being a suspect in the murder of her former frenemie,  Juliette must figure out who is behind the counterfeiting, the murder, and keep the retreat going all at the same time. Just when she thought things couldn't get more complicated, her TOTGA (the one that got away), Marcus Stone, shows up and is ready to rekindle their relationship - or is that just a cover to protect her from the trouble she seems to find herself in?

What I Liked: I love that Juliette and Marcus' candy was a Peppermint Pattie (and all the cute jokes that went with that). They happen to be my favorite candy as well, and I went and got a few to munch on while I was reading. :) Marcus and Juliette were also sweet. They were able to find each other after so long. Their stories really shows the impact that a single meeting can have on a person. You never know what your words and actions will do in a person's life. I also loved the importance Juliette placed on inner beauty and taking time out for yourself, not in a selfish way, but in a balanced way in order that every part of your life is maintained. Sometimes we get so caught up in ourselves, or in helping others, that we forget that we need to keep Christ at the center of everything and maintain a balance of the two. Helping others is great, but not at the neglect of ourselves. Similarly, taking time out for ourselves is great, but not at the expense of helping others and being selfless. (Conviction alert! ;) )

I also loved the mystery and the government investigation side of things. That made the story more interesting for sure. The side characters were mostly all good too. I loved Marcus' mother. She was a hoot!

What I didn't like: How predictable and naive Crystal was. Overall she was ok, but I could see some of her plot points coming a mile away, and it was aggravating. I also got a bit lost in some of the beauty treatments, but hey, it was at a spa, so I suppose I can't really complain.

Overall, a fun read and I learned quite a bit about spa treatments. I had to laugh when the police couldn't figure out which fridge was for food and which was for products because they were so similar! heehee!
If you enjoy chick lit, or cozy mysteries, you'll enjoy this book!

Happy Reading!

Sarah

*Although I received this book from B&H publishers via NetGalley in exchange for a review, this review was not influenced by either group in any way, and is made up entirely of my own thoughts and opinions.

No comments:

Post a Comment