Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Book Reviews!

So this blog is going to be my attempt to post reviews of what I have been reading. It will mostly be Christian fiction, with the occasional Christian non-fiction or regular fiction thrown in for good measure. I decided to start this blog because I've been reading so many good books lately, and winning even more in contests, that I wanted to share my thoughts on them with you. I also wanted a way to thank the authors and publishers for picking me. :) My only fear is that this will take the fun out of reading. I hope it doesn't!

I have a list of books that I am planning to review, and will hopefully get to them this summer.  Some of the books I will do my best to review are: Camy Tang's Protection for Hire series; Tricia Goyer's Spanish Civil War series; Ronie Kendig's Discarded Heroes series; Lisa Tawn Bergren's Grand Tour Series; Siri Mitchell's Unrivaled, and Deeane Gist's It Happened at the Fair.

Hopefully I'll be able to get to these before the end of summer, and before school starts back up again.

And now, a little about me. I'm a wife of three years, a seminary student - will have my M.Dv in Theology in December 2013, and an avid reader. Ever since I was in first grade, I have loved to read. I can't even count how many books I've read over the years, but Goodreads sure is helping me try! My favorite genres/sub-genres are Christian fiction, and then within that I love: mysteries, legal thrillers, military, romance, historical/romance, some contemporary fiction, spy novels and just about anything else except for sci fi/fantasy/speculative, and Amish fiction - though it depends on the author. I also don't mind reading nonChristian fiction so long as there is very little language in it, and it stays clean. I know many of you will disagree with those preferences, and that is ok.

I suppose I have babbled enough for one post.

~ Sarah

4 comments:

  1. Sarah, good luck on your reviewing. Not that I'm a professional by any means, but I think you did a good job with your first review.

    I don't know how familiar you are with the opportunities to receive books free for review, but once you get a little history built up on your blog, you should be able to get in with several publishers and blog review groups. I have not found reviewing to take the fun out of reading, except for the occasional time when I have a book I really want to read but have to put it aside while I read another because of review deadlines.

    It looks like you and I have a lot of common reading interests -- except that Amish fiction is one of my favorites. There is so much good Christian fiction available that there is no way to keep up with it all.

    Pam Burke
    http://southerngallovestoread.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm on NetGallery, but I need to get more followers/readers before I can get books from them. Right now, I have a stack of books I need to review before I start looking for more anyway - though I rarely turn down a free book! Thanks for the advice and encouragement!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good afternoon! I just came across your blog. I love your reviews. I also do reviews if you'd like to check out my blog: http://sallyshupe.blogspot.com/. If you like to get free books, there are several publishing companies that will let reviews pick books as long as they have a blog and can post reviews on Amazon, Goodreads, and other retail sites. Thomas Nelson: http://www.booksneeze.com/blogger/request; Tyndale Publishers: http://www.tyndaleblognetwork.com/; Waterbrook Multnomah: http://waterbrookmultnomah.com/bloggingforbooks/blogger/users/login; also if you're on facebook, following authors can get you some free books in exchange for reviews. My page is: https://www.facebook.com/sally.shupe.1. And I'm on Goodreads. I look forward to reading more of your reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Sally! I LOVE Goodreads! It is so helpful! I'll definitely look into those websites for sure! I've won a TON of books through author chats and giveaways on Facebook and other blogs, and am trying to work through that stack to review them...not getting very far because I keep reading all these other books that are fantastic and review them first, lol. Also, another great place to get free books is netgallery. You should totally check them out. I haven't gotten anything from them yet, because my blog is still pretty young, but if yours is fairly well established, you should be good to go!

    ReplyDelete