Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Review ~ Dolled Up to Die by Lorena McCourtney

Hello Friends! Today a have for you a book review of Lorena McCourtney's Dolled Up to Die. I received a copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for a review, but don't worry - that hasn't influenced what I have to say about the book. :)

Dolled Up To Die is the second book in her Cate Kincaid Files series, which I actually didn't realize when I first got the book. I have not read the first book, and while I missed a tiny bit of background, the overall story and mystery were not affected by not reading the first book. I've read some of her other books, and enjoyed them, which is why I chose this one when I saw it available.

Summary: Ok, on to the story! Cate Kincaid is an assistant PI in her uncle's firm. Working on getting her full PI license, Cate helps her uncle with his cases, and even finds some of her own to solve. Her uncle's only rule: we don't do murder. Of course, Cate does her best to avoid those cases, but well, they just keep falling into her lap. Once there, she can't just ignore them - people are counting on her! This is the case with her latest adventure. Called to the home of Jo-Jo, the ex-wife of one of Eugene, Oregon's wealthiest business owners, Cate is there to investigate what she thought were three homicides. Once there, she discovers no homicides, but three life-size dolls that have been shot. As she tries to calm Jo-Jo, their owner and creator down, she discovers there really has been a murder! Eddie the Ex - Jo-Jo's ex-husband has been shot in another room of the house! With the help of her boyfriend, Mitch, and sometimes the police, Cate must help Jo-Jo find out who killed Eddie the Ex and why. Filled with murder, a deaf cat, a friend's "has to be perfect" wedding, and some interesting twists, this cozy mystery is a good afternoon's read.

What I liked: I enjoyed the cat, Octavia, who is apparently a mainstay in the first book as well. She is a hoot and causes just a bit too much trouble for Cate sometimes. I also enjoyed the interplay between Cate and her boyfriend Mitch. Cate's interactions with the suspects are also fun. I also appreciate that the importance of attention to detail is emphasized as well. Sometimes we miss things because we are too frazzled, or aren't paying attention. Other times there is too much detail, and we have to pick and choose what does matter. They mystery itself was good and kept me guessing.

What I didn't care for: Some of the suspects are into New Age type stuff, and past life regression, and while the focus wasn't on that, the presence of it did make me a bit uncomfortable. The situation was dealt with appropriately, and Cate and Mitch used those situations to share Christ, but it is just one of those things that people need to be careful about dabbling in, in my opinion. Some things at the end weren't wrapped up all that well, but I suppose that makes it more realistic to not have all the answers. Still, for the reader, it can be a bit annoying.

Overall, a fun read on a rainy afternoon. Good mystery, fun and quirky characters. Hope you enjoy it!

Sarah K.

No comments:

Post a Comment