Monday, October 21, 2013

Review ~ Critical Pursuit by Janice Cantore

Hello Friends! Today, I have a cop thriller for you: Critical Pursuit by Janice Cantore! (I received a NetGalley copy of this book for my honest review from the publisher Tyndale House) This is the first book I've read by this former Long Beach, CA police officer, and it was fantastic! I have a couple of her other books on my Kindle, and now I'm super excited to read them! Critical Pursuit is a re-release by Tyndale House, formerly titled The Kevlar Heart. 

Summary:  Brinna Caruso is the cop you want when your child is missing. Known for her tenacity and her "wall of slime" dedicated to the pedophiles and child abusers in her area, Brinna is determined to track down every missing child she can and bring them to safety. Why so passionate? Because twenty years earlier, Brinna herself was abducted and left in the desert to die. Had it not been for Milo, the cop that saved her, she wouldn't have survived. Now, twenty years later, Brinna and her search and rescue dog, Hero, have stumbled onto a series of kidnappings that are remarkably similar to her own, and they must figure out who is behind them! Brinna's own kidnapper was killed several years before, so who is this copycat? Meanwhile, her personal life is falling apart, her faith in God is non-existent, and thanks to a media crazed lawyer, she is stuck with a partner who isn't all there.

Jack O'Reilly lost his wife and unborn child to a drunk driver nearly a year ago. Formerly, one of the best homicide detectives that Long Beach, CA had to offer, he is now hanging on by a thread, more consumed with getting revenge for his wife and daughter than catching any murderers. Re-assigned to patrol, he is partnered with Brinna, and together they must work through their personal lives, their jobs, and their faith.

What I liked: The plot was great. While I figured a few things out here and there, it was fun to see how it all came together in the end. I also enjoyed that it wasn't too gruesome, but still got the point across. The "wall of slime" is awesome, as is Brinna's tenacity and desire to keep kids safe. Jack and Brinna's chemistry is goof too, and Hero is just plain awesome!

What I didn't like: Part of me didn't like that it was about child molesters. Nothing graphic happened or anything, and it did make a great story, I just get so mad at the IDEA of children being victimized that it makes it hard to read about sometimes. Other than that, I don't have any complaints.

Take Away: Jack and Brinna both struggled with hatred, revenge, and where God was in their pain. Ms. Cantore does a really good job dealing with these issues, especially the "Where is God?" question. How monsters can harm children and get away with it is sickening, but trying to figure out why God allows it to happen is even harder. Sin is terrible, and rest assured, God HATES it when children are harmed. There is no easy answer for why it happens, but know that even in the pain, God is still there and can and will bring healing. It isn't easy, but he will if you ask for it. If you, or someone you know has been victimized, please find someone to talk to, preferably a Christian counselor who can help you work through your hurt, and help you on the path to healing. If you suspect someone you know has been victimized, or is an abuser, please report it, and make sure the victim is somewhere safe!

Overall, this was a good read, and I really want to read the rest of her books now. This book challenged me to think about how I can help those who have been victimized, but also how to help them spiritually as well. It gave me a lot to think about on the theological side of things, and some of it I'm still chewing on. I hope you enjoy this book! It isn't preachy, I just took away a lot from that side of things. If you like cop thrillers, or mysteries, you'll enjoy it!

Happy Reading!

Sarah K


2 comments:

  1. Wow Sarah, loved your review. I like how descriptive you were of the story. I like how you include both like and dislike of the story. This looks like something I wouldn't ordinarily read, but will definitely pick it up. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome! Thanks for stopping by! :D I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete