Thursday, July 18, 2013

Review ~ A Change of Fortune by Jen Turano

Hello Friends! Two posts in one day? Yes, I know, I went two weeks without a post, and now two in one day. What can I say? I write when it comes to me! :) I want to keep this fun, so I told myself I would only review a book when I felt like writing about it. Otherwise, it would be forced and make it work, and this isn't supposed to be work. :) So here it is, another book I read in one day - and yes, it kept me up til almost 3 am...totally worth it!

Today, I'm reviewing A Change of Fortune by Jen Turano. This is her fist full length novel, and the second book by her that I have read. The first, Gentleman of Her Dreams is a  free e-novella  that takes place before this book does.

Summary: In A Change of Fortune, it is 1880, and Miss (or rather, Lady) Eliza Sumner finds herself in New York as a governess to one of the city's up and coming "rich and famous" families. Formerly from England, where she was titled, and the daughter of a wealthy Lord, as well as engaged to one of London's most eligible bachelors, she lost everything, including her gold digging fiance when a conniving accountant stole everything and high-tailed it to America - New York City specifically. Lady Eliza follows him there, disguising herself as a governess in order to ferret out his whereabouts without giving herself away. She soon finds herself in far over her head as she runs into - literally - the most eligible bachelor and widower in New York, Mr. Hamilton Beckett. As she tries to find her treasure, and the man who stole it, Lady Eliza discovers that she and Mr. Beckett have much in common, including a mutual interest in a mysterious lord from England! Filled with love, adventure, and two very adorable children, this book will have you turning the pages to find out just what happens next!


What I loved: The cast of characters were delightful! I loved Eliza and Hamilton, as well as his brother Zayne and her friend Agatha. I can't wait to see how their story plays out! I also loved the children, Piper and Ben. Bereft without a mother - and serious nanny problems, these two totally steal the show. I also loved the surprise near the end, though it definitely left me with more questions than answers - which obviously means I need to read the next story to find out what happens! I also enjoyed the cute scheming of the mothers to get their children happy. Sometimes, that can be annoying, but this time it was cute! Finally, I loved Mr. Theodore Wilder. I hear that he's the star of the next book, A Most Peculiar Circumstance and I can't wait to watch him and the suffragette, Arabella Beckett interact!

I also loved the story itself. While there were some parts that dragged a little, overall, it kept me reading and wanting to finish. I loved reading about two respectable women suddenly being thrown in jail, trying to be news reporters, and carrying guns for safety, all the while traipsing around at night in pants in order to carry out their mission to find Lady Eliza's gold! Too much fun!

What I didn't like: Lawrence. UGH! Why didn't they just punch him in the face and get it over with. Seriously. Thickheaded men. Why Lady Eliza didn't just slap him silly, I'll never know. Sigh. This is probably while I'll never be a lady. ;)

Overall: Great read! I really enjoyed it. I loved the suffrage stuff that appeared here and there, but wasn't overwhelming. I loved the wit and humor, and the ability of the women to take care of themselves, yet still rely on the men when they needed them. Hope you enjoy it too!

Happy Reading!

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment