Thursday, July 18, 2013

Review ~ A Passion Redeemed by Julie Lessman

Yes, I know, I'm reviewing another book by Julie Lessman. No, I'm not playing favorites or getting anything to do so. When I read a book and love it, I then usually read everything else by that author I can get my hands on. That's what is going on here. I probably won't review every book by an author as I seem to be with Ms. Lessman's books, it just happens that I really REALLY liked the ones I've read thus far and thought them good enough to review. :) Don't worry! Other authors are coming up too!

A Passion Redeemed by Julie Lessman is the second in her Daughters of Boston Series, and the third book that I have reviewed by her. The other two, A Passion Most Pure and A Hope Undaunted, are the first and the fourth books about the O'Connor family of Boston. This book is about Charity, the second sister. You may remember her from A Passion Most Pure, as Faith's nemesis (and younger sister).

Summary: Wow. Two words: Roller. Coaster.

Charity stayed in Ireland after the rest of her family returned to Boston. She stayed for two reasons. First, because she can not bear to face her family, especially Faith, and her father, after what she had done. Second, she is determined to win the heart of the one that got away, Mitch Dennehy - her sister's former fiancee, and the man of Charity's dreams. Unfortunately, Mitch wants nothing more to do with Charity, her seduction, or her lies. In order to win Mitch back, Charity devises a plan: pretend to fall in love with Mitch's arch-nemesis Rigan Gallagher. Rigan is rich, handsome, and the son of the owner of the newspaper that Mitch works for. He seems perfect, except for one thing. He is overly possessive of Charity. As the story progresses, and Charity and Mitch are thrown together both in Ireland, and in Boston, they both have to deal with the mistakes they have made in the past, and grab hold of the forgiveness Christ offers them in order to move forward in their lives.

What I loved: Emma! Emma is Charity's friend from the shop they both work at. Emma gives Charity a level head-ish, and uses her own bad situation to encourage Charity to be careful in her relationships. I loved Charity's relationships with her grandmother and great grandmother as well. They are too fun! I also enjoyed hearing from the rest of the O'Connor's back in Boston. Finally, I love the lessons that Charity FINALLY seems to learn.

What I didn't care for: Rigan. Ugh. I also didn't care for Charity's manipulations and lies. However, there is a plot point that explains some of her behavior, and while it doesn't excuse it, it does help the reader better understand Charity and her actions. Other thing: sometimes the drama was a little bit much. Don't get me wrong, I loved the book, but sometimes the "which guy should she pick" stories are a bit much for me, and all of Ms. Lessman's books that I have read thus far fall into that category. Can't anyone in this family have a simple "boy meets girl, falls in love, proposes" story? ;) Oh well, they are still great books!

Application: Oh, where to start...first, lying and manipulations may seem to get you what you want, but they can and will destroy whatever relationship you have with that person. Is getting what you want really worth all that? Probably not. Besides, when we lie and manipulate, we aren't trusting God to take care of it for us. Second, small PSA here: if you are in an abusive relationship: GET OUT! If you suspect someone is, get them help. On the other hand, don't even THINK about crying wolf when it comes to abuse. Far too many people actually are abused and have a hard enough time getting the help they need without liars making stuff up for attention, or to get what they want. If you are trying to get out, just leave. You don't have to make stuff up to leave. Though, if you feel the need to make stuff up, you probably need to check with God to find out what's really going on, and get your priorities straight.

Finally, I want you to remember that like Charity, it doesn't matter what you have done in your life, God still loves you. He is your Father. I know many people haven't had a good example of that in their lives, and thinking of God that way is difficult. That is ok. God loves you, and wants what is the very best for you, no matter who you are or what you have done. If you seek God out, he WILL accept you and forgive everything you have ever done. All you have to do is ask. You are pleasing to him, and worthy in his eyes. God's love is all sustaining. He will never fail you. It may seem like it sometimes, but I promise he hasn't.

Overall, I loved this book. It took me for a ride with all the bumps and turns, but it was worth it. It touched my heart in a way that hasn't happened in a long time. I totally cried during the last fifty pages. I hope you enjoy it, and the rest of the Daughters of Boston series!

Happy Reading,

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment